6th STePS: The Sixth School of Computing Term Project Showcase
COM1 Level 2/ Wednesday, 22 April 2015 / 6PM to 10PM
Mar 8 14:48:00 SGT 2015
Frequently Asked Questions
For Class Students
- Q: How large should our posters be if our lecturer asked us to
produce a poster? I also heard that SoC Technical Services will print the poster for free of cost. Is this true?
- A: Your poster should be A1 sized (841 x 594
mm). A registered representative (project leader) from each group can go to SoC Technical Services in COM1
Level 1 with a high resolution PDF (atleast 300 dpi) for help in PRINTING the poster. [The project leader/coordinator list is sent to Technical Services based on the information provided by your course instructor]. You can print one copy for free of charge at Technical Services. Addtional copies will be charged at $12 per copy. Please include [Info-Comm Authority of Singapore], [Smaato] and [Garena] LOGOs somewhere on your poster, as they are the
sponsor for posters. In addtion, please use bigger font size for your project id (preferred TOP-LEFT corner) and project title. Project id is used by guests for voting (See your project id at: http://steps.comp.nus.edu.sg/steps4/abstracts.html. It will be in the form - "####-##"). You can print from 7th Nov 2014 onwards. No need to wait until completing implementation of the project. Print early to avoid long queue.
Guidelines for making good posters are availabe at "Design Basics" page.
Poster Printing Schedule (Pls avoid lunch time: 12noon-2pm):
- IS 5126: 15 Apr
- CS 3217: 16 and 17 Apr
- CS 3218: 16 Apr
- CS 3240: 15 Apr
- CS 3247: 17 Apr
- CS 3284: 14 and 15 Apr
- CS 4244: 16 Apr
- CS 4344: 14 Apr
- CP 3101B: 17 Apr
- FYP: 14 Apr
- Q: Will there be power to plug-in laptops and monitors at the event?
- A: We'll try to arrange for power at certain stations for each
class. You should not rely on having power access during all times
during the showcase. The School does not have enough power cords
to run individual power strips for every project. You should
consider sharing with neighboring projects close to you, and run
on battery power for laptops when they can. Please do not bring
more equipment than you need for the showcase (e.g., external
- Q: I am in one of the participating class and my group will be showcasing our project. Do I still need to register?
A: No. If you are in one of the participating courses (excluding FYP) of 6th STePS, registration is NOT required. Your names will be automatically added based on the project group information submitted by your course professor/lecturer. If you have given your mobile number to your course lecturer, you will receive your Voter ID through SMS, otherwise, you will receive your Voter ID through email.
Back to top
For External Industry Guests
- Q: We are new to NUS campus. How to reach the STePS event venue?
- A: You can find the location map and directions to reach the building COM1, NUS School of Computing at: STePS Location Map.
- Q: How long do we have to assess projects? May we do
additional assessment outside of the project showcase?
- A: The projects are meant to be assessed within the
evening of STePS. If you wish to give additional feedback to
students, please interact with the students to get their email
addresses and feel free to send them additional feedback
beyond what you were able to provide during the showcase.
- Q: Do we have to be an expert in the course material to
evaluate the projects?
- A: No, not at all. Please use your own perspective and
experience to guide the students about the real-world value of
their work. If you can give constructive feedback that could
encourage them to develop their projects further, that would
be most appreciated.
- Q: What's the minimum commitment in assessing projects?
- A: You can just use the simple evaluation form. This form consists of a list of projects for each course to select the three best projects in the course and a simple comment field to offer any free-form comments you
have about the project. Please indicate the project id for each free form comment. The free-form comments will be given
to the project team at a later date.
- Q: If I use the more comprehensive evaluation form provided by the course professor/track chair, do I
still have to fill out a simple evaluation form?
- A: Yes, please fill in a simple evaluation form to vote for top three projects in each course. This vote is important as it is the sole
mechanism we use to determine prize winners.
- Q: How do my comments influence the results of the
- A: We value industry comments very highly. We weight your
industrial evaluations three times more highly than
evaluations by the students to their peers. The votes from
both industry as well as participants and guests will be used
to determine the prize winners for the showcase. The votes do
not influence the project grades, since this is the sole
province of the course instructors.
- Q: May I evaluate other projects than the ones that I am
- A: Yes! You are free to evaluate any additional projects
beyond the ones which we have assigned you. The students are
very happy to receive additional evaluation. Grades for any
additional projects will also be weighted three times as
heavily as peer grades given by students.
- Q: May we interact with the project teams outside of the
- A: Yes, you may. If you wish to do so, please take note of
the students' email addresses. Feel free to offer more
comments or schedule a time to meet up to students for any
- Q: May we promote our company in our discussion with project
- A: Yes, please do! Students in the project showcase are
largely undergraduate students in their final years. They are
very interested in potential job offers, and may have a resume
or CV ready for your perusal.
- Q: If we are interested in some of the projects that the
students have done, and wish to pursue licensing, who should
- A: You should approach the students and the STePS
Director, Bhojan Anand, banand [at] comp.nus.edu.sg
Back to top